[FW-1] Brand new HA environment acting really weird - not failing over CORRECTLY

ENVIRONMENT:
2 New IP530's (512MB)
IPSO 3.6 FCS6
Extra QUAD Quad (not in use yet)
FP3 HF-1
Policy Any Any
No Static or Proxy ARP entries at this time.

We will be using BIG-IP Link Controllers, but we are just testing failover
with just the Firewalls now.  When the LinkControllers are installed they
will be handling the inbound/outbound NAT.

DIAGRAM OF IP ADDRESSES:
FW1:
outside - 193.37.107.14
inside - 10.170.200.1
dmz - 192.168.101.1
default gateway is the Internet
static routes to all the internal networks are defined via 10.170.200.253

FW2:
outside - 193.37.107.15
inside - 10.170.200.2
dmz - 192.168.101.2

VIP with Monitored Circuits:
out - 193.37.107.16
in - 10.170.200.3
dmz - 192.168.101.3

Management station - 172.20.10.30

CORE ROUTER (with dual Ethernet interfaces):
Outside interface facing the firewall - 10.170.200.253 (default gateway is
the VIP - 10.170.200.3), (static routes to get to the FW's external IP
addresses via the FW internal IP addresses)
Inside interface  - 172.20.10.253

Outside Test PC - 193.37.107.11 (default gateway is the VIP 193.37.107.16)

PROBLEM:
- Inbound Failover works perfectly
-Outbound failover works perfect, IF YOU ARE ON THE 10.170.200.x network.
- VRRP works fine, a Nokia SE was on-site and did the config

1) outbound fails when on the 172.2010.x network --- When testing failover
while doing FTP or ping from an internal PC that is off the internal Core
Router (10.170.200.253/172.20.10.253), the failover doesn't work.  While
doing a tcpdump while a PING was going, both FW inside interfaces are
responding with Echo Requests and Echo Replies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be doing HIDE NAT on all the internal
networks so that it HIDES their IP's as the leave the firewall...RIGHT?
With that being said, I can get the failover to work PERFECTLY if I turn
off the NAT ONLY ON THE other internal network of the Core Router
172.20.10.x. While leaving NAT enabled on the locally attached FW network
(10.170.200.1).

State Synch:
Seems to be fine, when I do a 'fw tab -t connections -s ' the Values are
maybe off by 1 if that.

2) When I do a 'cphaprob state' , it shows they are both ACTIVE - Is this
correct?
 In earlier NG documents it says that the Secondary should be on STANDBY

3) When I do a 'cphaprob -i list' it shows that NO devices are bound.   A
document from Digital Migrations says it should come back with the
following information below, but mine comes back with nothing for all of
them - Is this correct?  The Nokia support tech I was talking to yesterday
says that his FW's show nothing.

Built-in Devices:
Device Name: Interface Active Check
Current state: OK
Device Name: HA Initialization
Current state: OK
Registered Devices:
Device Name: Synchronization
Registration number: 0
Timeout: none
Current state: OK
Time since last report: 101.1 sec
Device Name: Filter
Registration number: 1
Timeout: none
Current state: OK
Time since last report: 101.1 sec
Device Name: fwd
Registration number: 2
Timeout: 2 sec
Current state: OK
Time since last report: 0.4 sec

Daniel Samaan
Technical Security Consultant
CCSE, CCNA, CSPFA, CSVPN, CCA, MCSE+I
Cell:[email protected]

Forsythe Solutions
5440 W. Fargo Avenue
Skokie, IL 60077
www.forsythesolutions.com

Building cost-effective IT infrastructure that organizations trust.

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.