From: Crist Clark [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 01:24 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] Upgrade from 4.1 to NG

> "Fritze, Stefan" wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> i donßt want to use the upgrade function of checkpoint to upgrade the
> productive system to the new version. I prefer to build up a new
> management server and rebuild the configuration manual. The i install
> NG as second package on our nokia that i can easy reboot the old
> config if we have some trouble.

I've had to do this a number of times. I wrote a custom script based on the
various Check Point scripts that everyone will point you to.

The attached script was actually for upgrading from 4.0 to NG FP2 on
Solaris. The idea is to take the $FWDIR/conf from the old machine and dump
it to some arbitrary location on the new machine. The attached script,
fwmerge, is run from that directory. The "DIST" variable should be set to a
directory with the unpacked Check Point package. In the script, it grabs
parts from the Solaris packages. I assume the Nokia distribution is packaged
differently. The cleanup script, cleanup.awk, was another script that
manually made a bunch of changes that the Check Point tools couldn't handle
and some other changes that I'd rather automate (it dropped a bunch of
objects I didn't want anymore). A skeletal one is attached.

This worked brilliantly for me, because I built it to work for my rulesets.
No guarantees it will be of any use to anyone else. You will definately need
to make changes for it to work on a Nokia platform, but it might be
something to help you start. Definately make backups before you try it. It
will probably take some trial and error to get the cleanup.awk script to
handle all of the things the Check Point scripts say you have to do
manually. The whole point of the script is that you can run it over and over
without doing any manual clean ups in between runs. Each time you run it,
you make incremental refinements until everything works correctly.

I'm upgrading my last set of firewalls on Monday. Now that I am an expert on
doing this, I'll probably never need to do it again, or if I do, Check Point
will have changed everything enough that anything I do manage to remember or
still have on hand will be useless.
--
Crist J. Clark                               [email protected]
Globalstar CommunicationsThe information contained in this e-mail message is confidential, intended