Re: [FW-1] SecurePlatform memory

I think can tell you what will happen. I've been watching this on our
firewall for a while. We're running SecurePlatform FP3 HF1 on two boxes
with ClusterXL in HA mode.  The boxes each have 1 Gig of memory and one
of them used it all last week and it stopped responding and ClusterXL
failed over to the other box. It wasn't dead, I could still ssh to it
and it had 0 free memory.  As I recall, some virtual memory was in use
but it had not used it all.

The memory consumption only seems to occur on the active module.
Cpstop/cpstart does not free up any memory, the box must be re-booted.
After the re-boot it was using around 240 Meg.  Right now, 5 days after
it was re-booted, active real memory is 253 Meg.  Just before it stopped
its memory usage had grown to a little over 600 Meg.  I haven't been
able to determine why, but it consumed 400 Meg very suddenly.  At one
point the memory use was growing 10-15 meg a day during the week (little
or none on the weekends).  We are running SmartView Monitor and due to
another issue, Checkpoint had me shut off the traffic history reports
and the growth dropped to around 2-5 meg a day.

Mike

>>> [email protected] 02/19/03 11:51AM >>>

Hi Damo,

I've just checked my free memory this morning, and it's risen a bit
(just
over 5 meg). So no virtual memory in use yet. Looks like it might be
holding
steady, before I applied the hotfix, virtual memory was starting to be
used.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this over the next week or so.

I haven't had any problems with HF1 yet, though I run a pretty
straightforward set-up.

Andrew