From: Jason Costomiris [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 3:18 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] RAID on SecurePlatform

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 02:12  PM, Gary Ellis wrote:

> I'm building a SecurePlatform (FP3 Edn2) setup on a Compaq ML310 (ATA
> Version).  I had hoped to use the integrated LSI Logic Megaraid
> adapter to mirror across a pair of drives, but of course the
> SecurePlatform distribution doesn't have a driver for it, although
> perversely one *is* listed for the SCSI version of this controller.

Perversely?  Interesting choice of words...

> Neither does there seem to be an obvious way of enabling the software
> RAID built into Linux, even from "expert" mode. That said, the
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit file does have some stuff that’s looking for
> /etc/raidtab.

That's because it's a straight port of the RedHat sysvinit package.

> I did read a NG post from June last year that implied that Check Point
> didn't think that hardware fault tolerance was important for a
> SecurePlatform because you can roll a new one very quickly and push
> the policy down from the management server.  This philosophy is fine,
> right up to the point where the box is deployed using a single gateway
> license and you lose your drive. What happens to the logs in that
> scenario?  They get lost right?  Of course theres a whole raft of
> other problems too. Suffice it to say that it isn't a no-data-loss 10
> minute recovery.
>
> So… can anyone help me out with how to make RAID work in this setup?

2 ways - 1. get a supported RAID card or 2. get a supported RAID card.
I installed splat last week on a box that I used as a management
console.  It was a Dell poweredge 2450, which uses a RAID controller.
The box had 2 drives installed as a RAID-1.  Worked without a hitch.

Want a good IDE RAID solution?  Look at 3Ware.  Works like a champ in
my file server.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} jasons {dot} org / W: http://www.jasons.org/

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please tell us immediately by return e-mail and delete the document.