Re: [FW-1] Suggestions for how to manage cold standby server.

At 10:05 AM 2/14/03, Volker Tanger wrote:
Greetings!

Joe Matusiewicz wrote:
> At 04:54 PM 2/13/03, Hal Dorsman wrote:
>> How does everyone manage a second cold standby
>> firewall?  One that you would want to keep on
>> your internal network for remote access.  With the
>> licenses now being tied to the internal IP, you
>> get conflicts if you try to put it on the same net.

My cold standby server is an exact replica of my active one including ip
addresses, static routes, etc.  It's always online but it is not connected
to the network.  It takes about 10 seconds to switch to the backup and be
up and running.  This is because of the time it takes to switch the wires
and the time for the backup to announce its presence on the network.

One issue might be on how to keep the standby up to date. I had extremely good success with a (primitive) replication script that images Sun based servers (http://wyae.de/software/sunbackup/) onto backup tapes. Taking the image is possible without service interruption - but the script needs two basically identical servers, but only takes a few minutes to complete.

I've been using ufsbackup and restore scripts to keep the firewalls in sync. I run the backup on the active box without going into single user mode. It's been working fine for 4 years since the days of Version 3.0.

-- Joe