Re: [FW-1] Suggestions for how to manage cold standby server.

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] Suggestions for how to manage cold standby server.
  • From: Hal Dorsman <[email protected]>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:11:59 -0700
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Sorry, guess I don't explain myself well trying to be
brief.  I only want it accessible remotely for remote
maintenance.  Being able to back up my active config
and push it out to my secondary so it is always updated.
In a previous 4.1 env I was able to do this easily as
the license was tied to the outside IP.  I just had my
primary internal numbered 10.0.0.1, and my secondary
was 10.1.1.1, which was on the hme0. I could back up
and push out the primary policy to the secondary which
had all the qfe interaces defined exactly the same. To
fail over, all I had to do was rename hostname.hme0 so
that FW1 didn't try to configure it as an active IF, then
reboot.  By the time the thing had completed the shutdown,
I could be back in the server room and move wires.  The
secondary would boot back up with exactly the same IF
definition and FW configuration and we'ld be up and running.
Now, NG seems to have the licensed tied to the internal
(is this an option, or new rule?).  I am having problems
getting the license to be happy, and getting my box on
my network so I can ssh to it and run the Policy editor to
it.  The most logical solution I can think of is to daisy
chain the secondary off the primary via the hme's, and
get to it via routing through my primary.  Haven't tried
it yet, seems like kinda a pain.  It was so easy under
4.1.

Thanks,

Hal

Hal Dorsman