From: Misha Alikov [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 12:17 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Jim Laverty; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] Fragementation Problem Fix

I thought that in NG, the "Fragementation Problem Fix" was done by changing
":ipsec_dont_fragment (true)" to ":ipsec_dont_fragment (false)" for the
Firewall module object in question in $FWDIR/conf/objects_5_0.C.

>Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 18:32:44 -0500
>From: Jim Laverty <[email protected]>
>Subject: Re: [FW-1] Fragementation Problem Fix
>Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1
><[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>
>modzap is still used in NG, backup your fwmod.o file before you do
>anything.

[mailto:[email protected]]
>  <B>On Behalf Of </B>Nathan Jardine (IT Services)<BR><B>Sent:</B>
> Tuesday,
>  February 04, 2003 1:40 PM<BR><B>To:</B>
>  [email protected]<BR><B>Subject:</B> [FW-1]
>  Fragementation Problem Fix<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
>  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>Can this fragmentation problem fix also be
done in
>  NG?&nbsp; If so is the syntax the same?</FONT> </P><BR>  <P><FONT
> face="Courier New" size=2>Some applications set the "Don't
Fragment"
>  bit on certain packets. When the IPSEC headers are added onto the
> already
>  large packet, the packet basically requires fragmentation in order to
pass.
>  When Check Point creates the IPSEC packet, the Don't Fragment bit it
passed
>  onto the new packet. The end result, a packet that requires fragmentation
>  pass, but has the Don't Fragment bit set, so can't be fragmented. Packet
gets
>  dropped.</FONT></P>
>  <P><FONT face="Courier New" size=2>You can force FireWall-1 to clear
> the
Don't
>  Fragment bit by setting the fw_ipsec_dont_fragment kernel variable as
>  follows:</FONT></P>
>  <P><FONT face="Courier New" size=2>On an Nokia IPSO system (VPN-1
Appliance or
>  Nokia IP), you will need to get the 'modzap' utility from
> Resolution 1261
>  in Nokia's Knowledge Base. You can then use the following command line to

>  modify the fwhmem parameter and reboot the system:</FONT></P>
>  <P><FONT face="Courier New" size=2>&nbsp;# modzap -s
_fw_ipsec_dont_fragment
>  $FWDIR/modules/fwmod.o 0x0</FONT> </P><BR><BR><BR>
>  <P><B><I><FONT face=Arial>Sincerely,</FONT></I></B><I></I> <BR><I><FONT
>  face=Arial color=#0000ff size=4>Nathan</FONT></I> <BR><FONT face=Arial
>  size=2>&nbsp;</FONT> <BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>Nathan Jardine, CCNP,
CCSA,
>  CCDA, MCSE</FONT> <BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>IT Services,
SkillSoft</FONT>
>  <BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>Ph.&nbsp;; ext 6977</FONT>
>  <BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cell&nbsp;</FONT> <BR><FONT
>  face=Arial size=2>[email protected]</FONT> </P>
>  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>SkillSoft, The E-Learning Solutions
Company</FONT>
>  <BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>Visit us at</FONT><B> </B><A
>  href="http://www.smartforce.com";><B><U><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
>  size=2>http://www.smartforce.com</FONT></U></B><B></B></A><B></B>
></P><BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
><HR>
>
><DIV><STRONG>Note:</STRONG></DIV>
><DIV>This message is for the named person's use only.&nbsp; It may
>contain
>confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.&nbsp; No
>confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistransmission.&nbsp; If