Re: [FW-1] ufsdump or cpio to backup solaris + firewall

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] ufsdump or cpio to backup solaris + firewall
  • From: Russell Aspinwall <[email protected]>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:14:47 +0000
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Hi,

If you install a second disk, then you can ufsdump the primary disk to
the backup disk, install a boot block and you have a working copy of
your primary.
This is very useful if you plan an upgrade, remove the primary and  put
in the backup and then upgrade the backup!. If it works, fine!. If not
swap disks back to original position, and you are working again!.

Robert Mitchell wrote:
Hi
        Tar is quite reliable and scriptable and it's what I would use but if
you're set on using ufsdump or cpio, I would say cpio or ufsdump/ufsrestore
would be much the same.
ufsrestore is good for interactive restores if you're interested.
Ufsdump is supposed top be more reliable but I can't see how.

Rob

PS Difficult to see how this information will prove useful in your new role at Manchester City but good luck anyhow

Regards

Russell