Re: [FW-1] SmartDefense

egonle wrote:

Click on SmartDefense and setup a larger packet size for ICMP packets.

Uhhhh -- where would that be, this SmartDefense button/window/whatever? I've looked all over the new (NG) GUI. I admit I'm new to it and probably just overlooked it, but they sure hid it well. CP documentation, as usual, yielded nothing.

I had the same over-reactive icmp too long msg from a ping generated by
a cisco router. The solution there was just to tell it to reduce the
size of the ping packet. But the best would be to increase the allowed
size, if possible.

-Steve

Mark Quigley <[email protected]> wrote:

Do you have "Accept ICMP Requests" selected in Global Properties?  Also,
SmartDefense and Global Property rules take affect no matter what you
define in your rulebase (for the most part).  Have you tested a manual
ping from the monitoring server?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark E. Quigley
Network Administrator
Board for State Academic Awards
55 Paul Manafort Dr
New Britain CT 06053fax
http://www.charteroak.edu
[email protected]

-----Original Message----- From: Brad Pinkston [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 4:45 PM To: [email protected] Subject: [FW-1] SmartDefense

We have a monitoring server which sends icmp packets to our firewall to monitor our serial interface. SmartDefense sees these as in ICMP attack.

Attack Info: Echo request too long
icmp-type: 8
icmp-code: 0

Even after specifically declaring access SmartDefense still isn't smart
enough to realize this.  How can I solve this problem.

Also, what all services aren't included in any by default? Is icmp?

Brad Pinkston Centenary College of LA Firewall/Network Administrator IT [email protected]

__________________________________________________________________ The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp