Re: [FW-1] ftp rejects

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] ftp rejects
  • From: "Mellor, Derin" <[email protected]>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:26:44 -0000
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Title: Re: [FW-1] ftp rejects
This might be of interest... (I'm sure there are alternative solutions to this...)

I was dealing with a site which was running an FTP that negotiated SSL communications.

Normally CP allows the ftp command session (port 21) and monitors it to see how the data session will be estabished:
    PASSIVE(client initated data session) source port 20 and destination port >=1024
    ACTIVE(server initiated data session) source port 20 and destination port >=1024.
From this CP will allow the data connection. Likewise the host machine looks at this and listen on the correct port for the incoming connection.

However, in this environment the command session moved into an SSL mode so that the command and all the data sessions were encrypted.
Initially CP accepted the command session (and this is reported in the log), but as it could not 'inspect' the command session, it blocked all data sessions.

To get round this I created a new 'primitive' service SecureFTP: TCP port 21
The FTP Client was configured to only make PASSIVE mode data sessions (i.e. the client initiates the connection).
From this I created a rule: src X, dst Y, service SecureFTP and TCPHighPorts

When this FTP connection matches it allows the command session.
Subsequent data sessions are allowed with the TCPHighPorts

The concern here is that all TCPHighPorts are open between src X and dst Y.
This means that any hacker/virus/trojan could probe though on high ports, but at least you can be explicit as to the source and destinations.

INSPECT code could be written which would only allow the src X, dst Y service TCPHighPort if a srcX, dstY service SecureFTP existed.

Derin

NOTE1: Just using the rule srcX, dstY, service FTP and TCPHighPorts did not work! I can only assume that the default FTP service is monitoring more of the structureb before it allows the connection.

NOTE2: Matching with a service ANY will always use the default FTP service.