Re: [FW-1] Normal Memory Utilization for a Nokia IP330

Robert,

I am a Hardware Security Vendor of the Terian Check Point Security
Appliances (www.ebizenterprises.com/tcp).
We have lines that are competitive to the IP330. So I want to be clear I am
somewhat bias.

The memory utilization may be fine. Granted 256M on the high end is not
that much these days.
I would also be concerned that if your configuration is correct you have
very limited headroom, upgrades may be needed.

However, to get a better picture of your situation I would need the
following:
What type of traffic are you passing, and how many rules, etc does your
configuration have?
What Check Point products are you using on this system, etc?
What is the CPU utilization relative to the memory? That is are you seeing
high CPU utilization also?

-----------------------------------
Thanks,

F. Scott Churchman
Senior Security Project Engineer
EBIZ Enterprises (www.ebizenterprises.com/tcp)
13715 Murphy Road, Suite D
Stafford, TX 77477-4900

email: [email protected]
Direct Office:Cell Phone:Toll Free:Main Fax:"Nall, Robert"
                      <[email protected]>                     To:       [email protected]
                      Sent by: Mailing list for                  cc:
                      discussion of Firewall-1                   Subject:  [FW-1] Normal Memory Utilization for a Nokia IP330
                      <[email protected]
                      kpoint.com>

                      12/10/02 09:37 AM
                      Please respond to Mailing list for
                      discussion of Firewall-1

We have a Nokia IP330 running Checkpoint NG FP3 & latest IPSO.

The issue we have is that the memory utilization is running about 85-90%
with only about 250-300 users behind it. I did not know if this was normal
or not...

I recently just found out that its memory is only upgradeable to 256 Meg of
which I already have installed.

Could anyone elaborate if this is normal, or should I consider upgrading to
a bigger box.

Thanks,

Robert Nall
Network Administrator