Re: [FW-1] Upgrading 4.1 on WinNT to NG FP3 on Win2K

Tony,

FP3 and W2K(SP3) have an ARP problem which has been discussed in this group many times and I have myself experienced with one
of my clients. This causes the firewall to crash and stop forwarding packets. This can be anywhere between 3 hrs to a few days but it
does happen and the the only to recover it is to kick the box in the guts by doing a full system reboot..

There are a few suggested workarounds for this problem mostly to do with a local.arp file like in WinNT. I am in the process of trying this
but until someone comes up with a sure way to solve this, I have been recommended by some security experts to stick with FP2 until
FP4 comes out sometime in 2003.

FP4 I have been advised will be moslty bug-fixes for FP3.

As for your 10 second problem, have you checked you firewall object has the external NIC as its default ? .. this has been known to be the cause
of this particular problem  ...

Hope this helps !!

Vic

"Tony Jones (DMS)" <[email protected]>
Sent by: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

04/12/2002 01:54 PM
Please respond to Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1