From: Robert Masse [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 9:02 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] Help with NAT and management console

Hi

The problem:  We have a management console on an internal network protected
by a firewall.  We configured automatic NAT so that it automatically is seen
from the outside for our future external firewalls.

When we try to create a remote firewall everything is OK, SIC works and the
firewall becomes trusted. When we try to install the policy on this remote
firewall, the firewall will try to use the INTERNAL IP address of the
management console, instead of the EXTERNAL IP address.  The firewall locks
up and we must go to console and do a fw unloadlocal.  I verified this by
the internal /var/log/messages log and by a packet dump from a host on the
same segment.

Automatic NAT seems to work no problem for the management console as I can
telnet to the management console's external IP address no problem and vice
versa.

The problem is only when we try to push the firewall policy to the remote
firewall.

Help!

Thanks

Rob