[FW-1] Memory leaks - FP3 on Win2K - problem identified

Title: Memory leaks - FP3 on Win2K - problem identified

In case anyone else runs into this...

A while back I posted about severe (6 megs/hour) memory leaks on Windows 2000 with FP3. After working with Checkpoint we identified the cause of the problem. When I hardened Windows I disabled all non-essential services including Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). Apparently the Checkpoint GUI has some dependency on this service as that is what caused the leak. The leak only occurs with the GUI open, but once the memory is consumed fwd.exe never releases it, so even occasional GUI use will cause memory use to continually climb. Enabling the WMI services (there are two) fixes the problem, but also enables what I consider a non-essential and potentially dangerous service.

Checkpoint (Israel) has been able to recreate the problem and they are "still investigating this issue".

Geoff