Re: [FW-1] High Availability failing over problem

I assume the two FW's are checking on each other over their regular ethernet ports (as opposed
to a 2nd private LAN connection) ?
- are you using hme nics or qfe?
- have a look at a netstat -k <ifname> eg: netstat -k qfe0
Look for errors (I pasted explanations below, courtesy of Rob Thomas' fine web site!)
card-wise, qfe cards are faster than the built in hme cards. Not sure what kind a U10
has so.. worth a shot anyhow. I know with Rainwall installs, they rec only using qfe.
Not sure about CP's HA needs..
-------------
reading a netstat -k (view in courier)
-------------
example: netstat -k hme0

hme0:
ipackets 85402 ierrors 0 opackets 470 oerrors 0 collisions 1
defer 0 framing 0 crc 0 sqe 0 code_violations 0 len_errors 0
drop 0 buff 0 oflo 0 uflo 0 missed 0 tx_late_collisions 0
retry_error 0 first_collisions 0 nocarrier 0 inits 7 nocanput 0
allocbfail 0 runt 0 jabber 0 babble 0 tmd_error 0 tx_late_error 0
rx_late_error 0 slv_parity_error 0 tx_parity_error 0 rx_parity_error 0
slv_error_ack 0 tx_error_ack 0 rx_error_ack 0 tx_tag_error 0
rx_tag_error 0 eop_error 0 no_tmds 0 no_tbufs 0 no_rbufs 0
rx_late_collisions 0

ipackets           packets received
ierrors            malformed packets received
opackets           packets sent
oerrors            output errors
collisions         transmit collisions for a given packet
defer              deferred output transmissions ( but still sent )
framing            packets seen with framing or alignment errors
crc                packets received with CRC (checksum) errors
sqe                SQE test  errors
code_violations    code violation errors
len_errors         rx len errors (packet too large)
buff               buffer errors recv packet sizes > buffer size
drop               recv packets dropped
oflo               number of recv overflow due to a busy backplane
uflo               number of xmit underflow due to a busy backplane
missed             input packets recv missed
tx_late_collisions late collisions recv
retry_error        number xmit retry failures (for Ethernet, this is > 16
                   retries)
first_collisions   first collisions
nocarrier          carrier (link) lost since system boot
inits              hardware has been initialized by an ioctl call
nocanput           errors trying to send packets upstream, canput() failed
allocbfail         times driver ran out of transmit buffers, allocb() failed
runt               recv runt (packet size < 64 bytes) packets, often
                     the product of collisions
jabber             jabber (improper electrical signal) errors
babble             babble (host transmitting beyond the time limit) errors
tmd_error          chained tx desc. errors
tx_late_error      SBUS tx late error
rx_late_error      SBUS rx late error
slv_parity_error   slave parity errors
tx_parity_error    tx parity errors
rx_parity_error    rx parity errors
slv_error_ack      slave error acks
tx_error_ack       tx error acks
rx_error_ack       rx error acks
tx_tag_error       tx tag error
rx_tag_error       rx tag error
eop_error          eop error
no_tmds            out of tmds
no_tbufs           out of xmit buffers
no_rbufs           out of recv buffers
rx_late_collisions recv late collisions, generally caused by
                   exceeding the maximum cable length dictates
                     or faulty hardware

written by:
Rob Thomas, [email protected]
http://www.enteract.com/~robt

>>> Scott Kellerman <[email protected]> 11/06/02 12:57PM >>>
Hi all,

I'm having a problem where my main firewall is failing over to the secondary
firewall.  I'm using Checkpoints HA solution.  I'm using the following...

Sun Sparc Ultra 10's
version 4.1 SP 4
Solaris 2.7

Here is the error that I see in the logs...
High Availability: fwd detected a problem (communication problem). Blocking
state at DEAD.

Has anyone ever seen this error message ?

Any advice would be very helpful

Thanks in advance.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com