Re: [FW-1] Secureplatform - licensing and security

IMHO I think you would be hard put to find something else to harden on
SecurePlatform, it seems to be very good straight off the CD and takes only
a couple of minutes to install.  There are a couple of things it is lacking
because it is so hardened but in the "expert" mode you have a root shell
that gives you access to everything that they have left and you can also
install other RPMs (I suggest to start with a cron daemon).  You can write
your own Linux scripts and you have SSH remote shell access to it as well.
I have mine configured to do automatic backups to another machine and
automatic log exports which are tweaked using awk and sed etc before they
leave the box - very handy...

I would definately choose it over Windows simply because it is Linux (don't
bother flaming me for that one Windows lovers :-p ) and although I have had
my fair share of fun and games getting it operational (including two
complete rebuilds of the objects and rulebase) it has proven to be quite
stable in production.

For those not completely competent with Linux security it will put your mind
at rest to know the hardening has been done by the people who *should* know
what to harden :-)

thats my 2 cents worth anyway

Damo

P.S. Existing licenses can be used on any platform afaik, including
SecurePlatform, but you will save yourself a Windows server OS.