From: Messier, Michel [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 5:20 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] How do you manage multiple http ports??

Hey all,

I'm wondering what the prefered method is to allow http traffic through to
the Internet when particular ports are used. In our case, we only allow
traffic through the standard http and https ports and coming from our
proxies. But we lately received a few request from consultants wanting to
access their intranet over the Internet. Their servers, on the other end,
listen to such ports as 1850 or 7349 or whatever.

I'm sure we're not the first ones to come accross such a situation. And we
certainly don't want to start managing all these request on a 1 by 1 basis
(people starting or leaving, keeping track, etc). On the other hand, I'm a
little bit reluctant to allow unrestricted access to the Internet from our
proxies.

So the question is: How are you managing this situation? What are the best
practices in such cases?

Thanks very much for your help,
Michel