Re: [FW-1] SecureRemote NG + Radius

A,
There have been quite a few such requests lately. I'll see if I can write a step by step howto on the topic as it's not documented on Phoneboy or anywhere else that I've found.

But the basics are:
- With nt4sp4 and later, plus in w2k (any sp) each user must be granted dial-in rights.
- clear text (pap) authentication (no ms-chap or similar)
- It works with both radius 1.0 and 2.0 protocol settings on fw1.
- Make sure the firewall and the radius server can talk to each other and that there are no natting taking place on the radius communication.
- For debugging purposes, tcpdump/network monitor and netcat are useful tools. Radius is using udp so you can't use telnet to verify the connection.
- The radius shared secret might be sensitive about some characters, I don't remember which ones and if it was fw1 or w2k that caused this problem.
- The IAS log is always a good place to watch carefully.

Lars