Re: [FW-1] unknown established packets

Is it common to have to change the timeout value from the default?  I see it happen pretty frequently, and it's not a routing problem.  Do you know of a best value?

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Sean Swart [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent:   Friday, October 18, 2002 8:39 AM
To:     [email protected]
Subject:             Re: [FW-1] unknown established packets

This is erasing the traces of a problem, NOT solving it. The errors are
there for a reason?

Solution

fix that routing.

This is indicative of poor or bad routing. Unkown established packets
are because of two primary reasons (others exist).

1    timeout values are low/the state table for the firewall is
depleting quickly (not the most common issue)

2    packets leave one interface and return via another (the most common
cause and is routing related)

I suggest you look carefully at those logs and you will find a packet
leaves one interface and return via another.

Also look at things like the Natting. Are you Hiding your network behind
an interface with a public IP or do you have a public IP on your
internal interface on wich you are Natting? If this is the case look at
your install on section for rules, some would indicate check packet in
each direction other only INBOUND or OUTBOUND etc.

Sean