From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 11:27 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] Websense and FW1 Nokia

Let me try and understand exactly what you are attempting to do.  First, you have the FireWall set to pass it's traffic through an ISA Server, or is the ISA Server on a DMZ and you are expecting the users to proxy to that device for Web access?  Is the FireWall set to pass the Web traffic using a proxied connection or using the SecureNAT option on the ISA Server?  I suspect based on the error that you are reporting that the FireWall is set to proxy to the ISA Server for Web traffic.

That being said, the error really has nothing to do with Websense, but more with how the FireWall is configured.  When you enable the rule on the FireWall to filter traffic through Websense, the Web traffic then passes through the HTTP Security Server.  The error that you are receiving is from the HTTP Security Server.  If you have configured your browsers to proxy to a server outside of the FireWall using port 80, the FireWall will try and intercept the request, and fail because it is not the destination proxy server.

So, there are two immediate options that I can see to solve this issue, and it will depend on how you want your traffic to flow, as well as what reporting options you want to have occur.  One option is to not use proxied traffic at all for your internal browsers, setting the FireWall to send the Web requests to Websense for evaluation, and then have the FireWall point to the ISA Server (either by proxy or by SecureNAT) for the outbound Web traffic.  If you are planning on using Websense Reporter and trying to identify specific user names, you would have to rely on the Websense Server components to identify the users.  I have not tested the forwarding proxy option in NG, so I don't know how well it will work, but it wasn't all that great in v4.1 for Web traffic.  Another option is to use Websense filtering on the ISA Server and then set the client browsers to proxy to the ISA Server.  The FireWall would then be set to pass Web traffic on through to only the ISA server from your internal clients.  In this case, if you wished to use Websense Reporter to report on specific users, if the ISA Server has access to the internal user database, either it or the Websense Server components can be used to track your users Web access.

I'm sure that there are a number of other options that can be accomplished as well, if we understand what specifically you are attempting to do.

Thank you.