[FW-1] mail dos question

This is really more of an Intrusion Detection question but I'm curious if
anyone else has seen this.  We are receiving tons of smtp traffic from one
source that was being rejected.  I am receiving the following in our logs:

Source:
208.x.x.x
Dest:
Our primary mx record
Service:
SMTP
Info:
Agent mail server reason Too many meaningless commands.  Quit the mail
session.

The traffic was being reject and we promptly added a rule to drop all from
that source but I'm curious exactly what it was.  It looks like a brute
force attack of commands on out mail servers.  Anyone experience something
like this before?