Re: [FW-1] Nokia & Checkpoint - stateful failover?

The Nokia high availability solution relies on three components -- VRRP, monitored circuit, and state sychronization.

--VRRP provides IP level failover of a particular interface.
--Monitored circuit forces VRRP failover for ALL interfaces besides the one originally affected to avoid asymmetric routing.
--Synchronization provides state table information to be passed between firewalls (note that there is a delay here of -- I believe -- up to 70 ms)

VRRP and Monitored Circuit are IPSO functions.  State Synchronization is a Checkpoint function.

To establish the state synchronization, perform the following on both boxes.  Remember that the ip address used in the following statements will be the ip address of the OTHER firewalls interface.  It is recommended that the interface be dedicated for the purposes of synchronization -- although I have seen it work otherwise.

a few notes:

1. these directions assume that the synchronization has not been performed.
2. for the commands in vi editor, i use "" to isolate the characters, do not use them in the config.
3. i use brackets () for explanations
4. <> indicates a value which need be supplied, do not use the <> when entering
5. a pound mark (#) at the beginning of a line indicates you are at the command prompt for the nokia ipso.
6. vi <filename> opens a file in the vi editor if it exists.  if the file does not exist it creates an empty file of same name)

   login to nokia firewall as admin
   #cd $FWDIR/conf
   #vi sync.conf
   "i"             (type a single i to enter "insert" mode while in vi editor)
   <ipaddress_of_OTHER_firewall_sync_interface>
   "esc"
   "esc"        (hitting the escape key twice gets you out of insert mode)
   "shft+:"     (enters command mode)
   "wq!"         (write and quit with an override (!) although I am not 100% sure it is necessary here)
   #fw putkey <ipaddress_of_OTHER_firewall_sync_interface>  (after hitting enter, you will be prompted for auth key twice)
   #fwstop; fwstart

Perform this on both firewalls.  Then use the following to verify various aspects of the configuration.

   #cd $FWDIR/conf
   #ls sync.*              (to see if the sync.conf file exists)
   #cat sync.conf        (to see what ip address is listed -- make sure it is for the OTHER firewall)

these commands will verify that the sync.conf file was created on both boxes.

   #netstat -an

this shows the nokia ipso connection table.  look for 2 established connections (on both firewalls) with the two ip addresses in question and on port 257 (i think).  if both connections are being attempted, but not established, then you probably have to redo your auth keys.  Simpley perform the last two commands on the list above ("fw putkey", then the "fwstop; fwstart").  This should fix the problem if it is related to your authentication keys.

***You must make sure your rulebase and anti-spoofing allows for this communication as well.***

   #fw tab  (check for the available options)

you should be able to look at the connection table using the "fw tab" command (i do not remember all the options) on both boxes and get an idea if they are similar.  under non load balancing configurations, there should be very few connections on your "backup" nokia.

You will also want to verify that the monitored circuit is configured correctly or you could be having an asymmetric routing situation which will also kill the ftp.  Check the logs of the backup firewall and see if your connections are returning to the primary firewall even after a failover.  you can also use the "tcpdump" commands to see traffic on specific interfaces on the firewalls.  do a search on google to find a website with the "tcpdump" options.

regards and good luck
bill