Re: [FW-1] Telnet Access to Nokia IP650 as a Checkpoint NGEnforcement Point

> Bill wrote:
>
> I am experiencing a weird problem and hope someone may have seen this before.
>
> I have done a clean install of Checkpoint NG on an NT Server (Management) and a Nokia IP650 (enforcement point).  All licensing is OK, I can download policy, the status manager reports a "connected state", etc.
>
> My problem is that when telnetting to the Nokia IP650, I get no activity at the telnet console, BUT
>
> 1)  the checkpoint logs indicate an accepted packet
> 2)  a "netstat -an" at the Nokia IP650 indicates an established telnet connection.
> 3)  a "netstat -an" at any PC I have telnetted from indicates an established telnet connection.
> 4)  I have tried this with MS command line telnet and hyperterminal and seen identical issues.
>
> One last thing.  When the firewall software package is turned off (similar to uninstalling), then telnet.
>
> I have not had a chance to sniff/tcpdump the problem yet.

How long do you wait before decide there is no telnet activity? DNS?
Does DNS work correctly on your firewall when policy is enforced? You
might be waiting for the firewall to do the reverse-lookup on the client.
Let the telnet session sit for at least a full minute or two before
deciding there is no activity. Also, try something like 'netstat -a'
(rather than '-n') on the server and see if that hangs up when you are
doing the attempts.
--
Crist J. Clark                               [email protected]
Globalstar CommunicationsThe information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,