Re: [FW-1] logging into an NT domain controller through FW-1

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] logging into an NT domain controller through FW-1
  • From: Lars Troen <[email protected]>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 23:17:49 +0200
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

You should also note that with SecureClient you could also set the WINS address at the firewall or dhcp level instead of manually at each client.  But this solution seems not to be working quite stable on winXP clients yet (it kinda works... but not all the time). With SecureClient you also get an ip address out on your client instead of having a NAT address which more and more users have today.

But I guess Securemote was not the issue here. In addition to opening the appropriate ports (noted in an earlier reply) you must make sure you configure your wins settings on your clients. Also make sure the trafic to the DMZ isn't natted or you'll probably get trouble with dce-rpc stuff (most of this might have been fixed since I tried it last tho..)

Another thing worth noticing is that w2k domains are usually easier getting to work through firewalls than nt4 domains. Sometimes you'll also need static settings in lmhosts (0x1b + 0x1c) on a few of your internal computers in order to get things working.

Lars