Re: [FW-1] Trcaert on NG FP2

"Singh, Hira" wrote:

> Dear Clark,
> Can you please explain this a little bit.
> I am not sure how to do it.....do i need to create a rule for this.

Yeah, you would create a rule. You don't really need 'from any to any,'
a slightly safer way to do it is,

From:                 To:                   Service:           Action:
(External Networks)   (Protected Networks)  icmp-time-exeeded  Accept

Just allow ICMP 11's in from the outside.

As others have stated, FW-1 is supposed to be able to handle these
in a stateful way. Since that is already known to be broken to some
degree, the above still might not work in a NAT'ed environment.

I would the problem has to do with the fact that the time exceeded
messages are generated by the routers in between you and the destination.
The packets coming back do not have the source address equal to the
destination of your probes. The stateful inspection and NAT code has
to look at the ICMP payload, which contains a portion of the packet
that caused the error messsage, to see if it is part of a "connection"
it is keeping track of. Something in that code is broken. Whether it
affects stateful inspection, NAT, or both, I don't know.
--
Crist J. Clark                               [email protected]
Globalstar CommunicationsThe information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,