Re: [FW-1] AW: [FW-1] load sharing with Nokias

I would be curious to find out how setting the same weight for vrrp
interfaces will work.  Even if it does work though, I believe it will result
in asymmetric routing as the VRRP could not possibly be aware of any state
info.

But...

What we have done in the past falls within two categories and by far.  Since
most people I have worked with use the first method I will describe that.
Please note -- before I get jumped on -- that this is not strictly speaking
load balancing.  You would be approximating a load balancing situation using
VRRP, not real load balancing software.  Anyway....

Case I -- Routers on both sides of the Firewall Pairs
===================================

Routers on both sides must be capable of routing traffic based on some
algorithm.  For our purposes we will use an algorithm which makes its
decision based upon information contained in the ip addresses.  For example,
a router may be able to split traffic between multiple next hops based on
the last two bits of an ip address -- which would result in 4 possible
paths.  In our case let's knock it down to 2.  "Even" source ip addresses
will go one way and "odd" ones will go the other.  The network would look
something like this.

                                   Internet

                                   RouterA

   vrrp_1_out                                          vrrp_2_out
 NOKIA1 (odd)    <----(sync)---->   NOKIA2 (even)
   vrrp_1_In                                            vrrp_2_In

                                   RouterB

                                 Network
                              172.16.1.0/24

There are plenty of things which will complicate the matter, but let's work
with the simplest solution.  No NAT and no redundancy beyond what you see in
the diagram above.

keep the following in mind:

   --RouterB would be configured to forward traffic to vrrp_1_in for odd
**source** ip addresses
   --RouterB would be configured to forward traffic to vrrp_2_in for even
**source** ip addresses
   --NOKIA1 is the master for vrrp_1_in and vrrp_1_out
   --NOKIA2 is the master for vrrp_2_in and vrrp_2_out
   --RouterA would be configured to forward traffic to vrrp_1_out for odd
**destination** ip addresses
   --RouterA would be configured to forward traffic to vrrp_2_out for even
**destination** ip addresses

Most routers these days are capable of performing "policy" based routing.
In my experience I have used mostly Enterasys Network and some Cisco routers
and have had good success.

Most customers I have worked with usually add extra routers for redundancy
reasons.  It complicates things a little bit, but still worth effort if you
can afford to drop the bucks.

Regards
Bill