From: David Gillett [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 4:38 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] VPN Pool NAT

  No matter how many people seem to think so, I do not believe that browsing
and WINS are related, at least to the extent that getting one to work makes
much difference to the other.  (For one thing, WINS is IP specific, browsing
should work over/with IP, IPX, and NetBEUI.  You can have machines show up
in the browse list, with whom you cannot connect for lack of a common
transport protocol.)

  A browse client obtains the browse list from a browse master.  The browse
master (a) is on the same subnet as the client, and (b) is a member of the
same workgroup/domain as the client.
  That (b) is important!  For NT/2K(/XP?), the domain could be either that
that the machine is part of, or that the current user is logged in to.  For
95/98(/ME?), it's the domain/workgroup specified in the "Identification" tab
of the machine's network settings.

David Gillett