Re: [FW-1] Requesting advice/opinions re: hardware platform

Elisabeth Wonders wrote:
<snip>

> My other option is to switch to a Linux-based platform, which I'm not
> averse to doing.  However, because of our current and future network plans,
> I need the capability for 8-12 network ports on each firewall.  This need
> is met in my current hardware because each box has 3 quad cards.  Are quad
> cards available (and supported) for any Linux-based platform?

I've been using a CompaqML330, loaded with 2 DLink 4-port 10/100 cards
each (for a total of 9 ports)..  total price of the box with 24x7x4hour
warranty was about $4000 for 2 gateways with identical configs..

The specs per server

PIII 933mhz w/64MB RAM
20 GB IDE Drive
2 x D-Link DFE-570TX 4 pt ethernet cards
1 x 256 MB RAM Upgrade (total of 320MB RAM)
1 x 24x7x4 hour Compaq Service Pack Warranty for hardware (not counting
aftermarket D-Link cards)
$1940 / server

These systems seem to be running fine..  I'm running RedHat 7.0 (latest
certified RedHat at time of install) with Checkpoint 4.1SP5 and haven't
had too many issues thus far.

We have about 25 users behind each gateway and performance has yet to be
a problem (nor would I expect it to yet)...
--
Anthony Mendoza
IT & Customer Support