Re: [FW-1] desktop control. Was: Instant Messenger bypass FW-1

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] desktop control. Was: Instant Messenger bypass FW-1
  • From: Steve McNutt <[email protected]>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:19:25 -0400
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Implementing controls in an environment that was once a free-for-all is
certainly tough to do.  I wish you luck and hope it goes as smoothly as
possible.

A few years ago I did a pretty bad one.  Five other people had come and
gone in quick succession before I was hired, and it took a year of 70
hour weeks to do the rollout because of all of the trench warfare.

Anyhow, the way I was able to do it at this particular shop was to go to
the head of each department and sell them on the productivity gains they
would get from their staff.  I would give them a dog and pony show and
get them to agree to the rollout in writing, stating that they
understood exactly what was going to happen.  I did this department by
department until the whole company was done.

About halfway through it did get easier, as the drop in help desk
tickets from the converted departments was pretty dramatic.  When the
CFO of the company saw the results, he started pimping it to the
department heads personally. Made my job much easier :-)

There was one group who would not play ball, and they did not get
converted, even though it meant a loss of political capital with some of
the brass. Give you one guess which department it was. :-)