Re: [FW-1] Connecting 2 ISP's with Cisco 2611 and a hub

  It's a subnet on Ethernet -- it's allowed to have more than two
nodes if the subnet mask is big enough.  You probably don't want
collisions on that subnet, or to be relaying traffic between the
ISPs....
  That gets you the *connections*.  Now you just need to set up the
*routing*.

  Outbound, it's easy enough to fake something like send all Class A
traffic to one ISP and all B and C to the other.  It's not guaranteed
that that will be the best path for any of it, but you can usually let
"the cloud" worry about that.
  Inbound, odds are that you have address space allocated to you by,
and advertised to the world by, *one* of your ISPs.  So all inbound
traffic is going to arrive from that ISP.  And if that ISP has a
problem, your inbound traffic will STOP, even though you have a working
connection to the other ISP.  (If you are trying to use address space
from both ISPs, especially if you also do NAT, things get more
complicated.)

  The "normal" way to run a multi-homed (multi ISP) site is to get
your own AS (autonomous system) number and address space, and talk BGP4
to your ISPs (who, if they're any good, can help you set this up).  But
I'm not entirely certain whether a 2611 has enough horsepower for that.

  There are several boxes on the market which use a sort of "reverse NAT"
to allow your site to be reached via multiple address spaces allocated
by different ISPs.  In order to work, these also have to provide your
external DNS, and that's a little funky.  If your network can really all
be behind a single 2611 (ours is dispersed across several geographic sites),
these might be cheaper and simpler to install than BGP4 -- and those
*might* be the most important criteria to you.

David Gillett