Re: [FW-1] [fw-1] Instant Messenger bypass FW-1

This isn't "a problem with FW-1" or any other firewall.  The problem is that
IM is designed to, well scan open ports, or at least certain ports, with the
specific intent of bypassing any firewalling.

I had a client who wanted all forms of IM locked down with minimal notice to
staff.  As a result, when the lockdown took place, a lot of people still had
AOL IM running.  The technique we used was to blackhole the AOL servers
corresponding to login.oscar.aol.com (or at least those known).

Because I wanted to watch the impact of the lockdown, I enabled logging on
the rule that blocked access to the IM servers.  The log started filling up
with drops, FAST, which was good.  But what was interesting was this:  The
AIM clients didn't know that was the issue, though-- they assumed that it
was a port block.  So I was watching these things try every known port they
could come up with-- http, telnet, ftp, nntp, smtp, 5050 (the default AIM
port, I think) and one or two others.  They didn't get anywhere, but man,
they were trying hard.

Needless to say, software that is designed like this is going to take
advantage of your need to talk to the Internet via *something* regardless of
what firewall you have.  End 'o convo.  And the problem is probably going to
get worse as software vendors convince themselves that their right to turn a
profit trumps your company's right to determine what is flying in and out of
its network.

Scary, huh?  Hope this helps.