From: Steve Loughran [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 2:12 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] "Accept ICMP"

Hi all

FW-1 v4.1
Under the policy editor menu:

    Policy -> Properties

There is an option for "Accept ICMP". If I leave it enabled (First or Before
Last), then anyone can still ping the firewall. If I set the option to Last,
then the last `drop everything` rule will stop this (which means it is a bit
pointless having a `Last` option).

If I totally disable "Accept ICMP", what rules would I need to add to the FW
to allow ICMP for things like destination unreachable, time exceeded
messages and echo reply to work? Are there any other ICMP messages I should
allow inbound to the firewall? Ad will FW-1 forward on these ICMP messages
tro the correct internal host if I disable "Accept ICMP" but add the correct
rule for the allowed ICMP messages?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

Steve

Steve Loughran, Network Infrastructure Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (Cambridge)
Home Page -> http://sl.scee.sony.co.uk/
Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace
ICQ#: 12666311 (Work), 104426046 (Laptop)
Team Waste - Where do you want to go wrong today?