Re: [FW-1] HTTP security sever woes on NG... almost there!

All,

I think part of the issue is that a number of folks (not all) that have
issues never report them to Checkpoint for resolution.  For example,
I've found that Compaq, or Dlink wifi cards crash on Win2k with
SecureClient..  it seemed as many others on the list had found the
problem too...NOBODY reported it to checkpoint.  I did in jan/feb of
this year and went through their process.  they identified the bug and
are in the process of creating a fix for it.  THis is the issue, people
bitch and moan, and perhaps some of them never purchased support of the
product (bad move IMO)..  so a lot of these issues don't come to light
until someone such as yourself (Abe) makes an effort to get Checkpoint
to resolve the issue and fix it.  I've been 50/50 with their product in
terms of satisfaction, but I do know that with any company, Checkpoint,
Veritas, etc..  if you don't report bugs, they'll never get fixed.
Bitching about bugs on a mailing list does not get an engineer in their
department to test the problem, confirm the bug, and fix the bug so the
product improves.  My guess is that in the past if folks were having
issues with CVP, they weren't being reported, and thus have not been
fixed yet..

This is something that I've seen consistently in this mailing list, the
fact that people have all sorts of issues and frequently I wonder why
they don't bother calling tech support.  I've done this a number of
times, and while I don't think they have stellar support such as Cisco
or Veritas, I do think it's the correct approach to take.  I usually
only use mailing lists for peer review or peer examples.  Peers will
never be able to solve a bug in the product itself.

Abe L. Getchell wrote:
<snip>
        I would like to stress something that Jim ([email protected])
said, "...but the fact remains, its in the manual, it should work...
thats what the customers say!"  I couldn't agree with this statement
more.  It _does not_ say in the manual that it should only be used for
small networks or as a temporary solution as some of you guys have
eluded to in commentary on the list.  Checkpoint says it will work.
Checkpoint says it will filter URLs.  It doesn't work, and should for
the money we paid for the unlimited licenses we purchased.
<snip>
        I'm not bashing Checkpoint as a company or Firewall-1 NG as a
product, as I think they are an excellent company that makes an
excellent product... I just don't think they should market their product
as being an "enterprise solution" if parts of that product can't keep up
with enterprise demands.  I'll get off my soapbox now. =)
<snip>
--
Anthony Mendoza
IT & Customer Support