Re: [FW-1] Max concurrent connection on a FW-1 cluster

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] Max concurrent connection on a FW-1 cluster
  • From: Kevin Martin <[email protected]>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:10:21 -0500
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Theoretically, you should be able to push > 50000 connections across
these 2 firewalls as long as you increase the state table sizes so that
they don't fill up with each others additional state information (you
should probably increase the amount of memory allocated to FW1 as well).
However, what happens if one of the firewalls fail and all of that
traffic needs to move?  It's my opinion that your cluster should have
enough horsepower to be able to remove or have a firewall fail and still
be able to handle the load.  I would recommend that you add a 3rd
firewall to your cluster and load balance across these 3 with the
thought that 2 firewalls can handle the load of 3 if necessary (always
plan for an N+1 scenario so you don't get caught short when the
inevitable blow-up happens).

Thanks and Regards,

Kevin Martin <[email protected]>
TD Options, LLC   Security Officer
230 S. LaSalle, 6th Floor  Chicago, IL  60604