Re: [FW-1] MSN and Yahoo messenger

It's good to keep a sense of humor, but given that this is a mailing list primarily for
firewall admins - security personel, yes? I would expect someone else to have something
concrete to add, for or against.  That said, I agree completely, if you want to be truly safe, unplug your
edge router and then return to your desk and put your feet up.
Point well taken Mr. Parker. ;-)

If you need to be connected, read through some of this and come to your own conclusions.

 - 5/16/02  EDS bans IM products for security's sake.  http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/25185.html
 - 4/20/02  CERT Warning  Advisory: http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-2002-03.html
 - 4/11/02  Aphex/Explore worm (spreads via IRC & AIM) http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/04/11/messenger.worm.idg/index.html

Here's an article from Computerworld..  http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO68932,00.html  )

and if you want a less techie read for your management, check out last week's front page story in the McPaper, err, USA Today. You want the bottom of page 1 from 5/29/02 "Instant Messaging at work can open door to hackers". It is purchasable via thier online archives. Go to http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/USAToday/ and search on "instant messaging" and it will be your #1 return.

Bottom line? Everything we do is just risk management. So how much risk do you want to manage? Do you keep your head down or paint a big bullseye on your chest? Something to think about, or joke about. Whatever works for you!

- Joe

>>> Jim Parker <[email protected]> 06/06/02 06:16PM >>>
yes and block port 80 incase someone inadvertently uses the "world wide web"
as this can pass viruses too, in fact best practise, unplug your "internet
router".