Re: [FW-1] How to connecto to 2 ISP's?

Hi  -

thought I'd reply off-line as we're getting farther and farther from FW-1 info.

-----------------------------------
Joe Pampel
CTO
Ardsley Partners
[email protected]

>>> Don <[email protected]> 06/03/02 02:13PM >>>
> One thing though, WCOM is in bad financial shape. They could be in chap 11 in the
> next 18-24 months. (look at their debt load!) That will not help UUnet..
> I've been through 2 bankrupt providers (Northpoint in NYC) and PSInet.
> It's not fun and it's a great reason to deal with the headache of 2 carriers. I should talk,
> at the time I took my current position my 2 carriers were Northpoint & PSI! ;-)
The odd thing is, PSI was still providing one of my customers with service
over a year after declaring bankruptcy. Needless to say that was enough
time to provision a circuit and move to another provider :)

We actually still have one PSi circuit left here, with about 3 weeks of life left. There
is an Internap circuit going in it's WIC. I can't wait!!
They are running, but their peering is abysmal at the moment and while
they switch over to Cogent's monitoring system they don't know whether they
are up or down. They've also been having backbone instability so our BGP session
with them has been shakey the past week or so. I honestly don't think Cogent will be
around in 2 years either (unless they have a ton of cash somewhere..)

Northpoint as you may know just up and pulled the plug. I dodged that bullet (by a week)
but it was still not fun for 10's of thousands of customers. One consultantcy I know
had their national offices connected by Northpoint circuits. Their whole company
had no interconnectivity all at once, and with no backup in place. Oops. ;-)

I am glad PSI was allowed to flounder more gracefully. I'm sure no one would allow
UUnet to just pull the plug either.. they are too big and it would be far too disruptive..
but it still makes me nervous. One reason I went with Internap - some insulation from
the travails of any one backbone carrier. Yes, they are one company too, but their
biz model is better I think.

Just to prove what a loser I am, I also have circuits with IXnet (Global Crossing.) If I'm
paranoid, it's from experience. ;-)

btw - thanks for all the great posts!  Can't speak for anyone else but I really appreciate
the time you spend on the list. I've learned a ton!

Regards,

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com