Re: [FW-1] ques

There are many implementations of IDSs available.  They range in cost from free to extremely expensive.  They range in effectiveness from ineffective to very effective.  Price does not necessarily correspond with effectiveness, by the way.

There are pattern based IDSs and behaviour based IDSs, and hybrids of both.

Snort is reported to be very good, and it's free.  RealSecure by ISS is often recommended.  Hardware vendors like Cisco have IDS appliances that can be managed with a browser or their software.  Many integrate with products from Pentasafe.

A good link to start with would be:
http://www.rtek2000.com/Tech/InternetSecureLinks.html

>>> [email protected] 05/29/02 09:12AM >>>
I realize that this is a checkpoint list but ... has anyone here implemented
IDS.  I have been tasked with an IDS project, specifically, setting it up.
I know what it is and how it works so I need to do some research on actual
products, etc.  Does anyone have any suggestions or good links?

Thanks in advance.