[FW-1] Ungodly number of SYN rejects, FW4.1 SP5

I have a client with a 4.1 SP5 firewall running on NT who is seeing an
insane number of SYNDefender rejects in the logs.  All the rejects show a
wide variety of sources inside the internal private address range, which
covers two class Cs and accordingly has a lot of workstations.  The
destinations are similarly all over the map, but single internal hosts are
not trying to hit random ranges.  It looks more like internal IP X tries to
talk to external IP Y, flames out, the user tries another IP (maybe), and
then gives up or hits something else that doesn't give a problem.  Later on,
we get a similar pattern with another internal IP, with no apparent
connection to the first.  And so on, and so on.

The firewall is an active SYN gateway.

I don't think I'm looking at compromised systems here-- there are too many
of them, security and AV is fairly tight with diligent follow-up and
follow-through, and while these were seen before, it looks like stuff got
worse after getting the FW  up from SP0 (!) to SP5.  Also, nobody is
reporting dead connectivity, we're just seeing the logs being flooded with
junk.

Any ideas?  Anyone?