Re: [FW-1] Malformed URLs

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] Malformed URLs
  • From: "John W. Kralik" <[email protected]>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 05:41:29 -0600
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Right,

The spaces are auto-converted by MSIE (normal behavior), which is not
normally a problem (without Checkpoint, the request works fine.)  In
fact, our old Raptor Firewall has no problem passing these requests.

When Firewall-1 is put in place though, these web pages are inaccessible
to my client machines.

Is this a bug with Firewall-1, or is there a work around?

~~~John

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 12:14:49PM +0200, Volker Tanger wrote:
> John W. Kralik wrote:
> >
> >        The firewall does not seem to allow passage of "white space"
> >characters in URL requests.  (Such as http://www.anywhere.com/white
> >space here.html)  We are using MS IE Explorer 6.0, which fills in the
> >spaces with %20 characters.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> The firewall behaviour is correct - it's MSIE that goofs.
 Oh really?
> A correct request looks like
>
>        COMMAND URL PROTOCOL
>        optional: header
>        optional: header
>
>        (double CR/LF)
>
> with COMMAND usually being get/post/put/head/connect and URL *not*
> containing whitespaces as the whitespaces are used to separate
COMMAND,
 spaces in URL are autoconverted to %20 (at least this is what i read
 above)

--
 Robert Ramiega  <[email protected]> RR282-RIPE
 Security Team Leader   | Systems Administrator