From: Nico De Ranter [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 10:58 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] Exchange doesn't send e-mail notification through
firewall

Howdy,

I moved a number of PC's to a protected network (FW-1 NG.FP1). The PC's
on the protected network are allowed to access anything outside their network
but nothing is allowed in. Unfortunately the users need to have
access to the local virus factory, euh I mean Exchange server. This is still
possible since they are allowed to access anything outside their network,
however it turns out the Exchange server sends a UDP packet whenever the
user gets a new mail. So now the users don't get an automatic warning
anymore but instead they need to press 'check mail' every once in a while.
Unfortunately the Exchange server does not seem to use a fixed port
for sending those packets so I can't just allow that specific traffic.
Is there any way to get around this so the users get their notifications
again?

Nico