[FW-1] 4.1 SP5 SYN resets-- against boxes inside your own net

I have a client with a 4.1 SP5, NT platform firewall set up as an active SYN
Gateway.  In the logs of this firewall I am seeing increasing numbers of
rejects (message SYNDefender warning:  SYN -> SYN-ACK -> RST).  What is
interesting about these rejects is that the source IP is a random address
inside the protected LAN, and the destination IP is always a web server.

Some digging into this allowed me to reproduce the problem at will by
visiting http://www.bmw.com/e65/id14/3_a91_idrive.jsp
<http://www.bmw.com/e65/id14/3_a91_idrive.jsp>  from inside the LAN.
Sniffing the traffic turned up that the browser (IE 5.5 SP2, "critical
updated" to all blazes) was continually trying to refresh some content and
getting an HTTP 304 response from the web server (Netscape, I believe) in
response.  The browser didn't like the 304, and asked again, and again, and
again.  In the middle of all this activity the browsing box (Win2K, SP2,
again "critcal updated" to the nines) is spitting out ACK packets.
Eventually the firewall nukes the connection by sending a TCP reset to the
browsing box.

The running theory over here is that somewhere between the IE client and
Netscape server, something is ticking off the firewall, maybe even ticking
off the TCP/IP stack on the browser box.  Can't really tell.  It just looks
weird.

Has anyone else noted this, or more to the point, can someone more in the
know on this kind of oddball item duplicate this the way I did & offer some
insight?  The logs on this firewall are getting really irritating to look
through... :)