Re: [FW-1] FTP-problems

We were having the same problem with FTP between a Mainframe and a bunch of
Microsoft FTP servers.  It appears to be corrected now.  There were three
Nokia Resolutions that we applied in a "shotgun" approach to fix a
Production problem (the Mainframe is owned by another company and they are
not super cooperative).  I'm sorry that I don't have the specific answer to
which one fixed our problem, but this is what we did:

1.      Modified the base.def file to comment out "#define FTP_ENFORCE_NL"
(Nokia Resolution 3306)

2.      Modified the base.def file to un-comment out "//#define
FTP_NON_STANDARD" and created a new service (Nokia Resolution 3414):

Name:           FTP_Control_21
Match field:    tcp,dport=21
Prologue field: ftp_accept_serv

3.      Modified the base.def file from (Nokia Resolution 1624):

// ports which are dangerous to connect to
define NOTSERVER_TCP_PORT(p) {
(not
(
( p in tcp_services, set sr10 RCODE_TCP_SERV, set sr11
0,
set sr12 p, set sr1 0, log bad_conn)
or
( p < 1024, set sr10 RCODE_SMALL_PORT, set sr11 0, set
sr12 p,
set sr1 0, log bad_conn)
)
)
};

to:

// ports which are dangerous to connect to
define NOTSERVER_TCP_PORT(p) {
(not
( p < 1024, set sr10 RCODE_SMALL_PORT, set sr11 0, set sr12 p,
set sr1 0, log bad_conn)
)
};

        Finally, we create a rule that looks like:

Source:

Mainframe, Microsoft FTP servers

Destination:

Mainframe, Microsoft FTP servers

Service:

FTP_Control_21, FTP Used Ports (TCP 20 & 21, UDP 20 & 21), ftp-active (user
defined service with the Match field containing:
tcp,dport>=1024,dport<=65535)

Hope this helps...

-Ed