From: Spadafora, Robert (CA - Toronto) [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: quinta-feira, 9 de Maio de 2002 20:49
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] Connection to final MTA failed

Outbound e-mail from an internal ms exchange server to the Internet through
a Fw-1 4.1 SP5 on a Nokia IP-120 using an SMTP resource that passes the
e-mail to a CVP server (Trend Interscan virus wall).

When sending e-mails to web based e-mail services such as hotmail and
yahoo, we will notice between 3 - 5 "Connection to final MTA failed"
messages in the fw-1 log.  When sending them to private corporate e-mail
accounts, such as [email protected], we do not get the "Connection to final MTA
failed" messages.

We've already tried settng Policy-->Properties---> "Accept outgoing
packets originating from gateway" to "first". However, the symptom still exists.

Can you or someone suggest reasoning as to why we are getting the
"Connection to final MTA failed" messages with web based
e-mail destinations and not with private corporate e-mail destinations?

Can anyone suggest a remedy?

Note, that without using an SMTP resource, any message to any e-mail
account passes on the first attempt without any error message.

Regards,
Rob S.