Re: [FW-1] DNS TCP

DNS over TCP is used for two purposes that I know of and unless there is an
established need I would not allow it through your firewall.

It can happen if DNS servers are doing zone transfers.  You should probably
be aware of who you would want to do this with, so if you decided to allow
it through, you should only allow it with specific DNS servers that are
"trusted".

It can also happen when a DNS request returns too much information to fit
into one packet -- which is limited to 512k i think due to initial
implementations of DNS code.  If the information can not fit into the first
packet (which is still sent using DNS/UDP) then it will indicate that in the
first packet and then the "remote" (other) will initiate a DNS/TCP
connection to your server.

Those are the only legitimate purposes and the second case is rare.  Even if
it happens, make sure it is important to the business unit before you allow
it and try and restrict this exchange as much as possible.

It is a bad thing to allow because your DNS servers contain a wealth of
information about any given company.  In some cases, it may even include the
hardware and OS of the systems (although this is rare as well).  If you
allow someone to do zone transfers to or from your DNS servers you are
either allowing your DNS servers to be poisoned or handing over all that
information to someone who is most likely trying  to find a way in.