Re: [FW-1] DNS Question

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 10:05, Martin, Jeffrey wrote:
> We allow DNS over UDP only and have not had any problems. Don, can you give
> us a reference/RFC for these large DNS requests over TCP? I find nothing
> about it, it is my understanding that only zone transfers use TCP.
I guess my last post didn't make it. See Stevens v. 1 p. 206 for details
on this. Essentially, queries that result in responses over 512 bytes
are re-sent using TCP.

Doug

Doug Maxwell <[email protected]>
Senior Network Security Engineer, CCSI
Integralis-US
Phone:Fax:Please note that:

1. This e-mail may constitute privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this
   confidential email and any attachments transmitted with it in error and you must not disclose, copy, circulate
   or in any other way use or rely on this information.
2. E-mails to and from the company are monitored for operational reasons and in accordance with lawful business
   practices.
3. The contents of this email are those of the individual and do not necessarily represent the views of the company.
4. The company does not conclude contracts by email and all negotiations are subject to contract.
5. The company accepts no responsibility once an e-mail and any attachments is sent.

Integralis Ltd.
Theale House, Brunel Road
Theale, Reading RG7 4 AQ, UK