Re: [FW-1] DNS Question

> What is incorrect ! AFAIK 53/TCP is used for zone transfers please
> correct me if i am wrong. ???Dear Don please refer to RFC 1035
Funny, you are referring to an RFC you do not seem to have read.

The RFC does not require lookups be performed via UDP. It is a suggestion
for performance reasons. Please see section 4.2.

Also, Please read the second paragraph of section 4.2.1.

"Messages carried by UDP are restricted to 512 bytes"

Imagine requesting the MX record for a site with a large number of MX
records. You could exceed this limit.

TCP can be used for ordinary DNS queries. In fact, I do believe Windows
uses TCP for ordinary DNS queries. As a result, you probably should not be
blocking such access to your servers. In fact, considering the insecurity
of most DNS implementations, and the traffic involved, you are probably
better off with bastion host serving as an external DNS server. Less load
on your firewall, and less risk to other hosts on your DMZ if the DNS gets
hacked.

-Don