Re: [FW-1] MS Outlook some times hangs on dialup connection

   The LMHOSTS file should be placed both on the client and on the FIREWALL.
If you do not need the LMHOSTS file on the Firewall leave it off,
experiment.  Many Firewalls may not be able to find the correct path through
the Firewall to the internal Microsoft network to the Exchange server.
Additionally, the LMHOSTS file should contain the names and IP addresses of
any WINS servers and internal DNS servers you may have if running W2K Active
Directory Domain Structure.  The Primary domain controller (NT4), Domain
Controller(ADS), should also be configured in the LMHOSTS file with the
DOMAIN name 192.168.XXX.X   "ACME12         \0x1b"   #PRE.
"45*7890"  make sure to maintain the correct length between the
"". Both the client and Firewall should have the same identical LMHOSTS
file.  The addition of a HOSTS file should also be used if you are running
internal DNS servers.  You can also run into problems when more than one
mail domain is configured on the Firewall and the same Exchange server.  The
problem occurs when multiple static NATs and static routes are entered on
the Firewall.  If you are using Outlook client or Outlook Express with other
Email Accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.. and you do a dialup session
these also become active and look for new mail and can cause severe
time-outs accessing the Exchange sever.  At this time you are probable doing
Split tunnels (DNS) one encrypted, and the other not.  The encrypted tunnel
will be much slower and timeout.  Also look to see if any Firewall software
is running on any clients and if it is make sure the IP addresses of the
Firewalls external gateway is trusted along with any ISP routers, servers
etc along the way.  If they have been marked to not trust you may have
problems when receiving packets back along another route.  Lastly, if you
have not included WINS in the Dialup profiles you make want to include these
to see if this helps resolve the timeout issue.  If all this fails invest in
another server and load IIS and OWA for Exchange.    You may have to
experiment to see which combination returns the greatest returns without
compromising security.  Running OWA with SSL has solved many of the concerns
our customers had with convenient and secure email access.