Re: [FW-1] "tried to open tcp service port" revisited!

I have a customer with the same problem.  The problem came about while they
were running 4.1 and still persists now that the firewall (standalone module
& management) has been upgraded to NG FP-1.

We have opened a ticket with CheckPoint support and it has been escalated
all the way to support in Israel.  After sending them cpinfo output, fw
monitor output, and fw tab output from the firewall while attempting the
ftp, we were sent a  modification to base.def which should have fixed the
problem.  It did not.

We are now in the process of collecting more data for analysis.
Unfortunately, this has taken a "back-burner" with my customer, as they have
many other pressing projects at the moment.

This is the information I received regarding the ftp port restriction and
passive-vs-active:

The difference between passive and active is that passive is always two
random ports - one on the client and one on the server. Active is only one
random port - only on the client because the server will answer on port 21.
So basically, the problem can happen on both passive and active. The chance
for it to hit a "known" port is higher on passive since every data
connection is two random ports as explained above.

The FTP server works in the standard mode listening on port 21. The reason
you thought it was opening data connection from random, non standard, ports
was because the client you used was probably a software client (ws_ftp,
bullet proof, etc)rather then command line. Usually the default of theses
software is PASV rather then ACTIVE.
When using ACTIVE the client asks the ftp server to open the connection on a
random port on the client (for the data connection). The server will then
open a connection from port 20 to the port the client asked for.
When using PASV the client issues the PASV command and the server answers
with a port number (random, not 20)for the client to open on the server (for
the data connection). In this case the client will open a connection with a
random source port to a the random port the server indicated before.
When you're transferring many files with the software client (usually to
update servers with many files-hhtp,ftp,etc) sometimes the client or server
hit a random port which is a reserved port i.e. a port number that's defined
in the firewall as a service.
In the fw monitor you sent you first transferred many files but the last one
the server asked the client to open on the server port 18191 (for the data
connection). The firewall didn't forwarded this packet since port 18191 is
reserved for the firewall daemon CPD.