Re: [FW-1] High Availability

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] High Availability
  • From: Steve McNutt <[email protected]>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:47:12 -0400
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

As chance would have it, i've never personally encountered a situation where I thought the best design solution would involve load balanced firewalls.

That kind of setup would make sense to me if the traffic was many to many, as in five thousand users heavily accessing the web, or possibly an ASP hosting servers for a large number of companies.

Every case I have been involved in where LB was desired, it involved many to few, as in server farm front ends, where you want to optimally spread the load between the servers, possibly in multiple locations, in addition to providing HA.  In these situations I have preferred to utilize dedicated outboard gear, like F5 Big IPs or Foundry Server Irons.

To me it's an issue of flexibility.  By seperating the functions into discreet elements, you have more design options, more scalability, and making changes to equipment configurations is a little less risky, as the impact of a problem is more isolated.

BTW, I had heard nothing but good things about rainwall.  Never had a chance to play with it though.