Re: [FW-1] NG FP1 management problems

don't know if this will help, as not using NG yet... but i use both the
internal and external names of the managment server in the masters file,
having defined internal and external names/ips on the firewall hosts files.

[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of
Roelandts, Guy
Sent: 11 April 2002 4:40 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] NG FP1 management problems

Hello,

    We are currently facing a strange problem since we upgraded one of the
installations to NG FP1.

     The configuration is as follows :

        a. Internal management server, using a 10.0.7.* address, NAT'ted to
an official address

        b. Firewall module, still at 4.1-SP5, sits in front of this
management server

        c. Several External Firewall modules, getting their policy from a.
and logging to a.

     The problem is the following, when the $FWDIR/masters file contains the
Internal management
        server name, none of the Firewall modules can fetch their security
policy, either at boot
        time or using the fw fetch <management name> command, and the
logging fails too.

      If we replace the name by the External name in the $FWDIR/masters
file, the logging works
        but not the fetch.

     The only way we made the fetch work is by deleting the object for the
External name of the
        management server and creating a group including his IP address, but
at that moment the
        logging stops working.

     I think we are missing something ... but can't find what, even looking
in the CP doc doesn't help.

     Is anyone running a distributed NG FP1 environment and wanting to share
some of his config
        files, off-line of course, with me, so I can dig in them to find the
differences ?

     I am pretty sure this has something to do with that bl**** SIC stuff
but can't see what.

Met vriendelijke groeten - Bien à vous - Kind regards
Guy ROELANDTS
EMEA GS Internet Expertise Centre - CCSA & CCSE
Compaq Software Engineer - Belgium
E-mail : [email protected]
Tel: +32(02)729.77.44 (options 3 - 3 - 1)
Fax: +32(02)729.77.65
This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information,
and is intended only for the person/entity to whom it was originally
addressed. The content of this message may contain private views and
opinions which do not constitute a formal disclosure or commitment
unless specifically stated. Should you receive this message by mistake
please inform the sender immediately.